[OSM-talk] Good practices violated?

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Thu May 30 12:44:26 UTC 2013

On Thursday 30 May 2013, Jakub wrote:

> PS: I beleive that this problem is much more general, it is also true
> with all sorts of regions, cities and villages. Names are rendered
> two or three times and is not good at all.

This is also common for islands and in some form also for seas/oceans
(where there is no geometry at all except for the labeling node).

The underlying reason is in part that normal rendering has to be done
directly from the database in real time and this does not allow for any
more expensive computations for label placement.  Toby described this
in more detail.

Somewhat related is the problem of label placement by the renderer with
overlapping labels of different type and suboptimal priorities in
selection of labels.

The only solution to this seems to be to introduce a preprocessing step
generating the labeling information from the map data that is not done
in real time and therefore can be more expensive.  There is one other
place where this is already done in OSM, that is the coastlines and as
many are painfully aware this is not working particularly well (current
coastline on osm.org is nearly four months old).

Greetings,

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/