[OSM-talk] Admin boundaries - data consumers

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Sun Nov 10 22:36:06 UTC 2013

Am 10.11.2013 13:45, schrieb Arun Ganesh:
>> In my opinion this is an example where OSM data is broken and should be
>> fixed.
>>
>> Andrew
>>

>  In India the law requires that the external boundaries of the country
> include parts of Kashmir that is now under control of foreign countries.
> This regularly causes issues when OSM is demoed publicly at institutes or
> to government officials. Also the startup community is apprehensive of
> using openstreetmap because of this issue.
>
> In this case, its the law that is broken, but adapting OSM to be able to
> handle such political challenges is more feasible than fixing the law.
>
> Google, Bing and other map providers display a different set of boundaries
> based on the laws of the user's country. But for OSM, it would probably a
> very simple solution if we have a lowzoom tileset which don't have any
> international borders. Would that be a good idea?
If you need wrong (according to the facts) data for legal reasons, then
"patch" the osm dataset with the official boundaries here and render
tiles from it.
Rendering tiles isn't that difficult, at least if we're talking about
demoing and so on.
Use osm, replace the indian boundary by the "legal" version and render
tiles from it. If you still keep the original stylesheet you would need
only to replace the affected tiles there by your own (if it's feasible
for the demo to use the original osm tiles - according to the tile usage
policy).

I don't think this is a problem with OSM in particular, but with every
"correct" dataset not originating in india.

regards
Peter