[OSM-talk] News of uMap
yohanboniface at free.fr
Sun Nov 24 18:31:09 UTC 2013
Hi open mappers!
A quick mail to give some news about uMap.
A set of improvements has been pushed to http://umap.openstreetmap.fr
The main move of this version has been to move from PostGIS storage to
flat geojson. Among others, the idea was to share work with MapBox's
geojson.io project. When you are alone and you see a team like MapBox
starting a project same as yours, you just don't try to compete.
Even if there is a chance that geojson.io will quickly make uMap
useless, until now it's not the case imho, and I do think there is still
room for this project for now.
Quick philosophical remainder: uMap aim to be an alternative to online
proprietary drawing map services, for *non technical* users.
So what are the novelties?
- the UI has been reviewed; now there is one big save button for all
changes, instead of saving every element per se; also it's possible to
- I've started adding keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl-E for toggling edit mode:
Ctrl-S for saving; Ctrl-M for adding a marker, etc.
- there is now a contextual menu (right click on the map), thanks to
- there is a discreet loader, that shows when data is fetched, including
geojson or tiles, thanks to https://github.com/ebrelsford/Leaflet.loading
- OSM data import is now supported, thanks to
- it's now possible to add "remote layers", that will fetch data
remotely instead of from uMap server: this can be useful for adding
dynamic OSM data through Overpass or XAPI queries
- there is a "outlink" option for polygons: when set, clicking on a
polygon will open an external link in a new window instead of a popup
- links added in a popup content now open in a new window
- it's finally possible to add custom symbols to icons (not yet custom
shapes, but to be added quickly)
- there is an option for clustering markers of a layer, thanks to
- there is now two popup templates: default (title + description) and
table (key=>value), useful for data coming from OSM
- imports are processed client side, thanks to
- added a measure tool, thanks to
- background URL can now be set by hand
- translations are now on Transifex
- first steps of a basic helps box system
Please see some (dummy) examples live here:
As usual, every help is welcome (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/UMap):
- Translators, please join at https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/umap/
- Tutorials and documentation is missing, please give it a hand if you
feel it :)
- users: every feedback is useful
- and if someone wants to run its own instance, feel free to ask for
help for installation if needed
This version has been partly backed by Ixxi Groupe RATP (Paris subway
company), so thanks to them!
More information about the talk