[OSM-talk] Overpass or XAPI API servers for 60, 000 node queries?

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Mon Oct 7 07:05:08 UTC 2013

On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 11:15 AM, Roland Olbricht <roland.olbricht at gmx.de>wrote:

> Please do not use a cancel-restart strategy. This may double the load
> because
> not in all cases the Apache server cancels the abandoned query.

Sadly, it's all that I can get to work.

I suggest the following strategy: Please prefer the Rambler instance. It is
> for this use case probably the fastest. Then, feel free to use a much
> larger
> timeout... On the other hand,
> please omit the element-limit...

I've tried all that, and get the same result.  The usual case is a hung
wget with no timeout evident.
If the server is timing out, the http connection never gets the message.
 The rambler instance
has returned results in the smallest number of cases tested.

Here's an example query (and note the simple version without the <union>
does the same thing).

<!-- element-limit="1073741824" -->
<osm-script timeout="9990">
<union>
<query type="node">
  <has-kv k="amenity" v="drinking_water"/>
</query>
<query type="node">
  <has-kv k="amenity" v="toilets"/>
  <has-kv k="drinking_water" v="yes"/>
</query>
<query type="node">
  <has-kv k="amenity" v="fountain"/>
  <has-kv k="potable" v="yes"/>
</query>
<query type="node">
  <has-kv k="man_made" v="water_well"/>
  <has-kv k="potable" v="yes"/>
</query>
</union>
<print mode="meta"/>
</osm-script>

A small bounding box version of this query works fine on all servers.