[OSM-talk] Deleting data

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sat Oct 19 07:41:34 UTC 2013

Russ Nelson wrote:
> We need to make sure that the Wikipedia deletionism doesn't take hold
> within OSM. Because, if I have to spend time defending the data I've
> already entered, that will take away from my effort to enter new
> data.
And a lot of wikipedia articles still have pointless complaints attached about
threats to delete material where THEY are the best authority for storing the
original data. OSM is a similar 'unique' archive of material!

 > In case you think I'm blowing smoke out my butt (who the hell
> blows smoke out their butt??), I've entered about 90% of the lakes in
> NY that are there, and about 50% of the rivers and streams that I have
> looked for (so far). I've aligned the TIGER data in about 7
> counties. It's a huge amount of work that nobody else is doing, and it
> would be a shame if I had to stop people from deleting what I've
> already done.
>
> I stand firm against deletionism!
There should not be a 'delete' mechanism at all, only one which can amend or
archive so that we can SEE the historic development of the information! This is
as valuable as the CURRENT view ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL