[OSM-talk] Timezones (was: Deleting data)

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Sat Oct 19 21:16:56 UTC 2013

 On 2013-10-19 22:38, Pieren wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 2:24 PM, Dominik George <nik at naturalnet.de> wrote:
>
>> [1]: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:timezone [1]
>
> It's even easier to add the tag on existing countries relations. No
> need for extra ways, neither tagging on ways.

Countries, or other administrative areas, or possibly even parts of
administrative areas....

Taking the US as an example, if it is tagged on a state boundary, we
will need the ability to override the state default at the level of
counties and cities. If we tag at a lower level, that's a lot of
relations which will need tagging.

I think it might be easier to define a new boundary/multipolygon
relation per time zone, containing all the boundary ways, in inner and
outer roles as usual.

Links:
------
[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:timezone