[OSM-talk] Timezones (was: Deleting data)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 14:11:47 UTC 2013

2013/10/22 Janko Mihelić <janjko at gmail.com>

> I don't think we really need layers, but could use editors that are
>> semantically aware of things like boundaries,
>> and put them in the background until needed.
>>

> As far as I see, if we just prevent certain ways or nodes to share nodes
> with others, that is as good as a layer. So if we say "boundary=* can only
> share nodes with each other", then that is a layer. I think those rules are
> better then inventing some arbitrary fixed layers.

It really depends on the legal situation, sometimes sharing nodes is the
right thing to do (if the boundary is defined as being the river for
instance), sometimes it is to be seen distinctly (when the boundary is
defined by independent coordinates). In other cases it is even worse as
there are several "official" versions for the same boundary ;-) (in the
case of disputed boundaries, there are more cases than you might think).

cheers,
Martin