[OSM-talk] Wikipedia article

Jóhannes Birgir Jensson joi at betra.is
Sat Oct 26 09:34:22 UTC 2013

iD is a leap forward for getting more people to contribute. Technical
people I try to get involved do ask "so anyone can delete anything" with
some incredulity but as Scroobius Pip says "some people are just nice"
and so far the ratio I've seen in OSM is that 99,999% are. A troll
passes by now and then but that is usually easily corrected and quickly
due to obvious deletions or changes.

What also hurt the English Wikipedia (which is by far the biggest and
what people usually refer to when saying Wikipedia) was the notability
"clamp-down". Deletionists had a field day in deeming locally important
or well known things as non-notable and promptly deleted. This included
football clubs in lower divisions who had played for decades or a
century and even some villages or other localities "fell foul" of the
global notibility that the deletionist movement, who must be thinking
digital space is limited, demanded.

I myself was an active contributor on the Icelandic and English
Wikipedias. I am an admin on the Icelandic one (tiny but focuses more on
local matters, has a niche and thrives in it, no sense in trying to
emulate the scientific coverage the English one has) but have long since
stopped trying to do anything beyond mere obvious corrections on the
English one, the red tape there driving not only new editors but also
experienced editors away.

A couple of weeks ago I deleted boilerplates (another red-tape excess
the English wikipedia has indulged in, slapping on the front-page
comments that should belong on talk pages) from several Botswanan
villages where they were under the threat of deletion due to being
non-notable. Something that the notability guidelines themselves frown
upon (a village being notable in it self is the rule) but nothing that
has stopped the deletionism movement.

Personally I try and keep an eye on mappers working in "my areas" which
are Iceland and Botswana, and add them as friend on OSM and send them
messages if they have done something superb or try to inform them of
appropriate OSM-wiki pages if I notice something odd being done. Here I
am fortunate, so to speak, as in the number of active editors in these
regions is so far not very high. I dream of the day when the number
grows though!

--Jóhannes

Þann 26.10.2013 04:11, skrifaði Jason Remillard: