[OSM-talk] Wikipedia article

Jason Remillard remillard.jason at gmail.com
Sat Oct 26 14:53:32 UTC 2013

Hi,

Simon - If you look at the slashdot and hackernews links, I think you
will see that many of the people that are upset probably don't have an
ideological ax to grind.
Eugene - Obviously, I think it is OK right now that it is hard to diff
and revert changes. We are not under assault by spammers.

One last thought. It is interesting to study Wikipedia because the
project is so successful. It is a top 10 web site, everybody knows and
uses it, they have a well funded foundation, etc, etc. Hardly anybody
knows about OSM, and our registered user count is quite small compared
to Wikipedia.

However, check this link out. It shows that Wikipedia has about
36,000+ active editors (90 day average)

http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~halfak/publications/The_Rise_and_Decline/images/decline.png

OSM, currently have about 18,000 active editors (30 day average)

http://osmstats.altogetherlost.com/

We know that 80% of the edits are done by the active editors. Using
this important metric, we are about half the size of Wikipedia, which
is amazing.

Jason