[OSM-talk] No new information on the SOTM since January 2014

Rob Nickerson rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 16:20:44 UTC 2014

The OSMF key functions are available online [1] and they're very bare bones
- the OSMF is hands off*. The two biggest points that relate to SOTM are:

   - Provides a vehicle for fund-raising to support the project. The
   foundation can accept donations for the OpenStreetMap Project and allocate
   those donations to OpenStreetMap Project activities.
   - Organizes the annual conference, State-of-the-map

Based on the observations of last years SOTM (which I helped organise) the
main comments that were fed back to the board were that (1) relying on SOTM
to provide all the funding OSMF requires over the duration of a year is no
longer guaranteed, and (2) the SotM Working Group, and in particular the
local team based in the host city, felt that finding sponsorship should be
a task that is more suited to the OSMF and the SOTM remote team (i.e. the
regulars). The OSMF have taken these comments on board.
Please remember that SOTM 2014 is 2 months later than last year and as such
there is LOTS of time. We're ahead of last years schedule. In fact one of
the other comments we fed back last year was that there was a calendar
clash with SOTM US (the Call for Presentations fell during SOTM US). This
year we won't have that problem. I would expect there will be more
announcements post SOTM FR and SOTM US.

Best regards,
Rob

[1] https://blog.openstreetmap.org/about/
* If anyone would like the OSMF to expand their role then they can put
themselves forward for election.