[OSM-talk] Detrimental to the OSM database

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Sat Aug 23 15:36:01 UTC 2014

Dave,

You are challenging the existence of an established set of tools in the OpenStreetMap community with your hunches, so the burden of proof is on you. But I’ll at least debunk your assertions, please see below.

--
Martijn van Exel

"MapRoulette gets help to some of the remote, forgotten places."
If they're that remote do they need "helping". Who's going to go there? & again prove the edits in those locations are accurate & genuine.
If ‘who’s going to go there’ would guide the decision to make a map of it, we as a project as well as the world at large would be in a very bad place.

OK. First random from your site:
http://maproulette.org/#t=IT_WaterCrossings/IT_RXING_11.333811432368_43.474069354879
How can anyone who doesn't live in area (I tried to copy/paste the location but the info box disappeared!) possibly know which is correct?
The question is not ‘which is correct’. The challenge proposes there might be an incorrect situation as a waterway and a highway cross without having a bridge or tunnel tag. This is all right there in the description: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/187922/Screenshot%202014-08-23%2009.27.02.png

 The reason why this is a great MapRoulette challenge is that in most cases, you would be able to resolve this just from looking at Bing imagery. Here is another situation from the same MapRoulette challenge:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/187922/Screenshot%202014-08-23%2009.30.30.png

In the case you point out, the situation is obscured by tree cover:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/187922/Screenshot%202014-08-23%2009.22.37.png

For those situations, you can just skip over the case:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/187922/Screenshot%202014-08-23%2009.22.47.png

http://maproulette.org/#t=osmose-8170-147-soccer/osmose-8170-147-soccer-None-d19295cc3e005283ae80b66bde86f474
Supposed missing soccer pitch in France. I mean, really?
Yes, there is. Just look at the aerial imagery. If you don’t know what a soccer pitch looks like, this challenge is not for you. Pick something else. Were you going to make a point about this?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/187922/Screenshot%202014-08-23%2009.23.28.png