[OSM-talk] Looking for a draft memo to allow an org to release data to OSM

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 10:00:27 UTC 2014

> In the spirit of free (as libre for sure), I think we must encourage to
> open data to everybody when is possible rather than just make release
> agreement. I'm not talk about share-alike or not, but just try make think
> open, for everyone.

yes, I partly agree. Both variants have their pros and cons, (unless they
decide to release under PD / CC0 what obviously is the best in terms of
freedom). I'll give you an example: we have obtained in 2010 the permission
from the national cartographic portal [1] to [derive features for osm from
their aerial imagery distributed as WMS]. No mention of a license (or a
particular dataset). When we changed the license in 2012 it didn't change
anything, we can still derive features (and do this) until now. By the time
they issued the permission, there was only imagery from 2006 and 2008, but
since some time there is also imagery from 2012 which we still can use
under the old, generic permission from 2010. If they had released a
particular dataset under a particular license we probably wouldn't have
been able to integrate new material as seamlessly as it was possible with
this type of "for OSM"-permission, and maybe we would even have had to
remove data due to the license change in 2012.

cheers,
Martin

[1]
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:ITALY_Auth_portale_cartografico_nazionale.png