[OSM-talk] Street cabinets

Murry McEntire murry.mcentire at gmail.com
Sun Feb 9 18:42:12 UTC 2014

"Street cabinet" has no meaning in my region. Looking at manufacturer's
sites and google images, I do see the term in use in Britain (and some
other places) for above ground enclosures with vertical hinged doors. Did
you also mean to include above ground enclosures without hinged doors and
subsurface enclosures with a surface door? In the U.S. all types are
probably most commonly known as utility boxes. Utility box has other
meanings, so is ambiguous, but on a map would likely be interpreted
Perhaps someone could chime in with the British term covering all the


On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 10:31 AM, François Lacombe <
francois.lacombe at telecom-bretagne.eu> wrote:

> Hi,
> I was pretty frustrated to don't encounter any common tag to map street
> cabinets (trafic lights control, water metering, phone connection
> points...) in my city.
> I was looking for something like man_made=street_cabinet or whatever but
> it's not widely used in the DB.
> Should I propose this new value on wiki (with additional tags to specify
> what kind of street cabinet, obviously) ?
> It would be interesting to document street cabinets since many of them
> dangerously deal with pavement accessibility in urban zones.
> This would be done to prevent specific primary keys about a particular
> infrastructure to appear on the map.
> Thanks in advance for any feedback.
> Cheers.
> *François Lacombe*
> francois dot lacombe At telecom-bretagne dot eu
> http://www.infos-reseaux.com
> _______________________________________________
> talk mailing list
> talk at openstreetmap.org
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/attachments/20140209/b1c279c7/attachment.html>

More information about the talk mailing list