[OSM-talk] Not attaching polygons to roads

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Wed Feb 26 12:22:48 UTC 2014

On 2014-02-26 12:31, Dave F. wrote:
> On 26/02/2014 11:16, Maarten Deen wrote:
>> On 2014-02-26 11:42, Dave F. wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm not convinced this is usually true. It maybe UK specific, but
>>> municipal boundaries were more likely to originally be placed on
>>> physical boundaries to farms & estates such as walls, fences etc.
>>> before tracks/roads were developed. Roads subsequently evolved along
>>> those boundaries afterwards.
>>>
>>> It would be pretty silly to have a municiple boundary splitting the
>>> centre of a road so different administrations were responsible for
>>> maintaining the left & the right.
>>
>> Like here [1]. The border is in the middle of the road,
>
> Actually in the /middle/ of the road? I see no evidence of that. I'm
> not suggesting Google Maps are definitive, but they show it to one
> side.

Yes. In the middle of the road. See [1], "In het midden van de rotonde
stond gp230", translated: in the middle of the roundabout was gp230
located". The roundabout on the photo is located a bit more to the south
where there is not streetview. That part was actually physically
separated with a stone ridge, see the next photo.
Now it is a joint road.
GP231 is located when you take my SV link, turn around and go to the
next roundabout.

[1] <http://www.grenspalen.nl/archief-denl/gp-depruis-nl-228-238.html>

Maarten