[OSM-talk] The game 'Kort' finally updates OpenStreetMap

Stefan Oderbolz oderbolz at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 12:25:08 UTC 2014

Hi there,

I'm very proud to announce that finally Kort[1] (the OSM game) writes back
it's collected solutions to OSM! All changes are made by the OSM user
"kort-to-osm"[2], so it's easy to track them.

Our actions were coordinated with the local (Swiss) community and the Data
Working Group (DWG). According to the "Mechanical Edit Policy"[3] all
changesets have the tag mechanical=yes and the users profile page contains
all relevant information about the project. With all the extra information
in the changeset comment, we are able to trace back an edit through Kort
and even further to its source. By the way, for most missions KeepRight[4]
is the source.

Until now we made over 280 changes. All changes were validated by at least
3 users. There are still lots of solved missions that are just waiting to
be validated, so that we are able to finally provides them to OSM.

The source code for kort-to-osm is available on GitHub[5], you are very
welcome to open issues or provide pull requests. The underlying python
library to access the OpenStreetMap API is osmapi[6].

***Apart from this big step, Kort itself has some new features:***
- Upgrade to Sencha Touch 2.3 -> now all major browsers are supported (IE,
Firefox, Chrome, Safari)
- Thanks to our new database server, we can provide missions in the USA as
well (no more limits!)
- Our homepage kort.ch is available in English, too :)

Any remarks, comments, issues etc. are very welcome!

Best regards Stefan

[1] http://www.kort.ch/index_en.html resp. http://play.kort.ch
[2] http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/kort-to-osm
[3] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mechanical_Edit_Policy