[OSM-talk] Can I use OpenStreetMaps for my case?

Jaakko Helleranta.com jaakko at helleranta.com
Thu Jan 23 21:00:39 UTC 2014

Matej,

You'll probably get more thorough answers from others -- or link(s) to
page(s) that explain this in detail. .. But in short:

Mixing data and license:
If you are only using an OSM data derived map layer as a background map
that you don't allow your users to e.g. geo-tag objects and you're only
plotting data (with coordinates from something else than OSM) from your
database then you are not mixing data and you can license your db in what
ever way you want.

On tile usage:
OSM.org (and most free OSM sources) have limiting tile usage policy (for
obvious reasons). Last time I read/heard MapQuest's OSM tiles are more
liberal. I don't see explicit note on the topic on their page about their
OSM tiles (http://developer.mapquest.com/web/products/open/map). Someone
might know better -- or your can read for your self with better time to see
if you can find this info.

You might also want to consider commercial tiles. They are really not
expensive -- and it's the right thing to do (if you exceed the usage policy
limits).
There are numerous providers available from companies that you can handle
everything without a need to send an email or talk with anyone (such as
Cloudmade and Mapbox) to various individual "OSM consultants" and companies
that can meet your tile needs (thinking of Andy Allan /
Thunderforest<http://www.thunderforest.com/>and Frederik Ramm /
Geofabrik <http://www.geofabrik.de/> but there are many
more<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Commercial_OSM_Software_and_Services>
).
I've used Mapbox both for creating maps and using tiles and have been very
happy with the $5/month that I've paid.

For what it's worth,
-Jaakko

--