[OSM-talk] Come back Osmarender, all is forgiven!

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Fri Jul 4 13:04:54 UTC 2014

On 23/06/2014 22:12, Rob Nickerson wrote:
> Andy,
>
> I think there is a lot of positives in the new rendering as well. I
> for one am delighted to see some life back in the "standard" map
> style, this way new tags can be (and have been) added to the rendering
> rules. So it's a mix - some things are improved, some things are
> added, and a few things get removed.

That's not what's happening it's very much a one-way street - the
standard style is being gutted, with obvious replacement available.

> As for a "show it all map", I guess this is where Vector Tiles may
> help in the future.

Perhaps you would care to elaborate on how that would work?  A vector
tile implementation simply moves the place where rendering takes place;
it does not eliminate the requirement.  Someone, somewhere, still has to
decide "we'll show XYZ on ABC map style".

> Meanwhile we have a lot of rendering options available, it's also
> easier than ever to create your own, and tools like Overpass Turbo
> allow you to on-the-fly checks of the data.

No, that doesn't work.  For example, look at the questions on the help
site, and you'll see comments like "But I don't want to lose my time
adding information that never appears" here:

https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/34480/changes-dont-get-rendered

A standard style that shows "what J Random Mapper has just added" is an
essential part of the new mapper feedback loop.  It doesn't have to be
_the_ standard style, just _a_ standard style.

Cheers,

Andy

PS:  By the way, Rob, your mail reader seems to be still broken - you're
replying out of thread again.