[OSM-talk] cycle.travel bike routing for Western Europe

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Thu Jul 17 14:02:33 UTC 2014

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm really pleased to announce that http://cycle.travel/ now has
> OSM-based cycle routing for Western Europe: France, the Netherlands,
> Belgium, Germany, Denmark, Czech Republic, Slovenia, Austria, Italy,
> Spain, Portugal, the UK and Ireland.
>
> You can try it here:
>      http://cycle.travel/map

It's nice and fast! But it is not really apt in finding shortest or quickest
routes.
I entered my daily commute (from 51.3207,5.9888 to 51.5428,5.9827, permalink
does not work properly) and it comes with a (for me new) route of 18.3 miles
(=29.45 km) in 2:02.
If I move the route to what I actually do, I get 17.9 miles and 1:59.
And there are no paths or tracks in either route.

> and if you log in, you can save/share your planned routes (and change
> your user preferences from miles to km ).

Do you really have to create an account just for that? Miles is a very UK and
US thing, it is not used anywhere on mainland europe. Can't you just use km
when you plan a route on mainland europe or set a cookie?

Regards,
Maarten