[OSM-talk] cycle.travel bike routing for Western Europe

colliar colliar4ever at aol.com
Thu Jul 17 18:59:40 UTC 2014

Am 17.07.2014 20:14, schrieb Maarten Deen:
> On 2014-07-17 16:38, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
>> Maarten Deen wrote:

Thanks for an online bicyle routing.

>>> It's nice and fast! But it is not really apt in finding shortest or
>>> quickest routes.

+1

>>> I entered my daily commute (from 51.3207,5.9888 to 51.5428,5.9827,
>>> route of 18.3 miles (=29.45 km) in 2:02.
>>> If I move the route to what I actually do, I get 17.9 miles and 1:59.
>>> And there are no paths or tracks in either route.
>>
>> The route it chooses has an off-road cycleway for more of the route
>> (all the
>> way to Eijkenhofweg) and then highway=unclassified (Steegse Peelweg),
>> whereas the 17.9-mile route has more highway=tertiary (Loorban and
>> Veulenseweg). In general cycle.travel prefers a balanced route using
>> traffic-free and quiet roads, rather than just trying to find the
>> shortest
>> or quickest route along busier roads.

I find several problems.
1. How are separate drawn cycleways next to roads handled ?
2. Neither traffic_light/crossing nor shape turns are evaluated.
3. I would like to show you some examples but I did not find any
link/shortlink feature. Are gpx tracks any help ?

> So, can't I just ask shortest or quickest road? As you say, the router
> has no idea about traffic levels. I mean, if a router can't give me
> either shortest or quickest, then I always think I get some random route
> that is not optimal in any aspect.

+1

Cheers colliar

Ein Dateianhang mit Bin�rdaten wurde abgetrennt...
Dateiname   : signature.asc
Dateityp    : application/pgp-signature
Dateigr��e  : 259 bytes
Beschreibung: OpenPGP digital signature