[OSM-talk] Upcoming openstreetmap-carto changes

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Fri Jul 25 14:38:44 UTC 2014

On 25/07/14 15:33, SomeoneElse wrote:

> On 25/07/2014 15:26, Tom Hughes wrote:
>
>> For the record I personally was perfectly happy to see things like
>> long obliterated railways removed from the standard rendering.
>
> We never (well not for 5 years or so?) rendered dismantled railways -
> it's the removal of those that _weren't_ obliterated but are still a
> significant feature in the landscape that's the issue!

I would dispute the claim that the Hertford East<->North link is in any
way a "significant feature in the landscape".

Sure if you know about it and you look hard you can figure out where it
went, and where a piece of footpath is part of the old track bed, but
we want it to render on the primary map as a footpath, not a damned railway.

That's true to my mind even west of Hertford where it becomes the Cole
Green Way which is much less mangled - the right of way is still there
without tracks (and even has some station platforms) but what it is to
people on the ground now is a foot/cycle path, not a railway.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/