[OSM-talk] Using Notes in France

Jóhannes Birgir Jensson joi at betra.is
Tue Jul 29 23:26:06 UTC 2014

Þann 29.7.2014 22:05, skrifaði Andreas Labres:
> On 29.07.14 22:32, Jóhannes Birgir Jensson wrote:
>> Map Notes are in my mind a to-do list obvious problems that require surveying
>> on the ground
> I disagree with this (principle idea).
I disagree with your disagreement.
> But if the names exist and are really missing because nobody ever
> looked there any closer, a Note expressing this doesn't help anything.
On the contrary. I'm grateful when a Note appears in Iceland stating
something similar in a region already with street names (as is the case
around this note I posted) because it is usually easy to find out -
sometimes its a new road and sometimes we just forgot to map it.

It points out an obvious thing, an unnamed street amongst streets with
names.

I've been mapping Botswana remotely and many of the villages don't even
have proper streets but different sized paths and the smaller ones don't
have street names. I'm not posting Notes there about missing street
names because quite probably there aren't any or we are unable to get
the information until we get a local mapper onboard.

Experienced mappers posting specifically worded Notes, for themselves to
fix later if possible or for others more knowledgable to work on, sounds
like good project management to me. If the note doesn't get attended to
for a couple of years it still doesn't lose its validity, the streets
will still be unnamed until we know better. I've posted Notes at rivers
saying "Continue drawing upstream" and a couple of weeks later the note
is resolved by a mapper who was looking for something to do.

Notes make people have something to do, whether locally or remotely. A
person eager to help opens the editor and then thinks "now what?". Notes
help us in keeping casual mappers interested.

To quote the Notes feature "Spotted a mistake or something missing? Let
other mappers know so we can fix it." This is verbatim.

-Jói