[OSM-talk] Using Notes in France

JB jbosm at mailoo.org
Wed Jul 30 07:32:44 UTC 2014

Hello, good morning there,
Some answers, and yes, I am JBacc1, closer of many notes in France. I
also appreciate that this is (in my memory) the first time some interest
is shown on the note feature (outside perhaps dev, that I do not read
but was pointed to some interesting messages there).
/    Well I was surveying some area in France earlier this year and
found a spot with missing street names so I marked it/
Well, once again, QA tools exist in France for spotting them, for example:
http://layers.openstreetmap.fr/?zoom=17&lat=48.2973&lon=4.07614&layers=B0000TFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
http://tile.openstreetmap.fr/?zoom=14&lat=48.95231&lon=4.37761&layers=B0000000FFFFTFF
Had the name of the street been added, I would have been grateful. (And
as I like the bad faith: is armchair mapping worst than armchair note
opening?)
/    Do we need a a note etiquette?/
Some of it is here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Notes, in the
Do's and don'ts section, but could be expanded or be more precise.
/    But Notes are neither personal notes nor "commands" to the crowd
("go survey"). IMO./
Sure, just read the don'ts section: Don't use it to put your personal
notes.
/    I'd consider that a useful note, and certainly within the scope of
what notes were intended for./
Bof, just go back to the previous links and add a note on all no-name
streets. And for citing the Dos: « for instance the name of a street or
an address »
/    I've been mapping Botswana remotely and many of the villages don't
even have proper streets but different sized paths and the smaller ones
don't have street names. I'm not posting Notes there about missing
street names because quite probably there aren't any or we are unable to
get the information until we get a local mapper onboard./
So you agree on different actions depending on the place you map. In
France, it seems we have more QA tools, then we may consider notes as «
street name missing » as low added value considering this info is
already available elsewhere.
/    Experienced mappers posting specifically worded Notes, for
themselves to fix later if possible or for others more knowledgable to
work on, sounds like good project management to me./
As long as they are not « personal notes ».

And sure, personal notes have been asked for several times, or notes
classifications, but to me, it seems that notes have just been added to
the main page then forgotten, for example:
https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/486
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/dev/2014-February/027728.html
(though I've just read this is changing now)

JB.