[OSM-talk] Come back Osmarender, all is forgiven!

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Mon Jun 23 11:56:17 UTC 2014

There have been lots of changes to the "standard" style sheet recently
(e.g. [1]).  The resulting map looks much nicer (farmland and other
landuse much less glaring, names that really make no sense to be shown
on a general map aren't).

There have however been some unintended consequences of the changes.  A
number of abandoned railways near me were edited from "abandoned" to
"disused"; I'm guessing that it might be because of the recent changes.
Changeset comments along the lines of "changed to X so that it renders"
and "I know we're not supposed to tag for the renderer but what's the
point in mapping a feature which then doesn't appear" are relatively common.

The question, I suspect is what is the "Standard" style on the OSM
website for?  It used to be "for mappers, but a nice rendering; one that
you might actually use as a punter too".  Back when Osmarender [3]
existed, that was the "if you want to see everything render, look at the
instead" option.  The removal of features (see [2]) that people actually
use means that the Standard style isn't really "for mappers" any more -
it's a nice (very nice, actually) generic map style, but not one that
you can use to make sure that what you've mapped is "technically
correct" (e.g. joined polygons up properly).

So, where's the replacement for Osmarender?  I'm sure that someone,
somewhere, will have created a CartoCSS style file that is much closer
to "show everything" than openstreetmap-carto currently is. Currently
for my own use I'm still using the standard style but at database update
adding back in some of the recent removals (see [4] - it also does some
England and Wales rights-of-way stuff). However, as the "standard" style
becomes "nicer" it's becoming increasingly clear that it's not the best
place to start from.  The question is, what is?

Cheers,

Andy

[1] https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2014-June/069959.html

[2] https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/542