[OSM-talk] Come back Osmarender, all is forgiven!

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Tue Jun 24 11:00:32 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-06-23 at 23:14 -0400, Russ Nelson wrote:
> The only complaints I see about the standard map are the ones coming
> from railfans who want to see the abandoned railroads put back. Can we
> not admit to error? Y'all should try it -- it puts hair on your chest
> and makes your boobs bigger (those would be gender-specific
> enhancements. I'll let you figure out which gender wants which).
> -russ

Not specifically rail fans, dismantled railways are often significant
features, the embankments, cuttings and bridges are still in place. We
now have height restrictions on roads with no bridge rendered to give
the map user a clue as to why the restriction is there. An example here,
http://goo.gl/maps/dB8B6

Where railways no longer exist they should be correctly tagged as
historic, the change to rendering means that there is now less chance
that these errors will be fixed as nobody will spot the railway passing
through a retail park.

Abandoned railways are also potential footpaths, cycleways, again not
showing them makes locating potential useful rights of way claims more
difficult.

My tupence worth.
Phil (trigpoint)