[OSM-talk] Not attaching polygons to roads

moltonel 3x Combo moltonel at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 09:20:46 UTC 2014

On 04/03/2014, Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2 at obviously.com> wrote
> That's not a good time to be mad.

There's rarely a good time for that :)

> If glued polygons are a valid mapping technique, they must be valid mapping
> technique at any time (initial entry or data maintenance).
>
> What's unacceptable is taking an area where someone carefully and
> deliberately mapped polygons, and
> wantonly gluing them, damaging what was done.

That's where we disagree after all :/ One of the driving idea behind
osm is continuous improvement. Highly detailed areas that have been
touched by a single mapper are probably the minority. Glueing landuse
nodes to highway nodes is only valid the same way that drawing a
generic squarre where you know there is a building of some shape is
valid. As an end result (fsvo "end"), glueing nodes is *not* valid, as
should be painfully obvious when checking against highres imagery.

I've repeated myself many times in this thread; more text would
probably not change entrenched opinions, so this is my last reply on
the subject. Go contribute instead.