[OSM-talk] new mailing list request - OSM outdoor/natural phenomena mapping

Richard Z. ricoz.osm at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 12:09:09 UTC 2014

On Thu, Mar 06, 2014 at 10:54:35AM +0100, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> In the case of climatic zones and vegetation zones you could overlay / mash
> the osm data with an external dataset. Nobody will draw a map of climatic
> zones in a 1:500 scale, it doesn't make sense, but it is a scale where OSM
> does operate.

It can make sense to draw them at high zoom levels. If I am hiking in dense
fog, rain in a swamp around Mt. Waialeale I have a serious interest to know
that a radically different climatic zone is 400 meters away. The borders
of the zones may be as sharp as sharp ridge.

Does it make sense to have this data in OSM database? I do not know the
answer, depends on several aspects:
* is the data stable? - *YES*
* how good is the data that we could get? - remains to be seen
* are there technical difficulties representing it in OSM? - no idea
* is it useful to have? - *YES*

Richard