[OSM-talk] Key:layer update

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 14:45:35 UTC 2014

> it has implications on real world topology: it says which object is above
>> and which below when they cross, it is not only for rendering
>>

> Disagree. A bridge at the top of Everest would be tagged 'layer=1' exactly
> as it would be if in Death Valley (86m below sea level)

to me it seems your example does agree with my statement

>  For instance if you had an area tagged 'park' & another area within it
>> tagged 'lake' you could add a 'layer' tag to 'lake' to ensure the render
>> displayed it.
>>
> -1, you should not add any layer in this case (tagging for the renderer)

The correct expression is 'don't tag incorrectly for the renderer'. There's
> /nothing/ wrong in making OSM data clearer & more accurate.

+1, but adding a layer=1 to a lake in a park isn't clearer or more
accurate, they are both on the same layer, the lake is in the park, not
above (usually).

cheers,
Martin