[OSM-talk] OpenStreetMap Isn't All That Open, Let's Change That and Drop Share-Alike

THEVENON Julien julien_thevenon at yahoo.fr
Thu Mar 13 14:59:21 UTC 2014

OpenStreetMap's share-alike license (ODbL) for a while and finally
decided to, um, share. I've been listening long to many
OpenStreetMappers I respect a ton telling me it's not so bad and it's
just what we're stuck with right now. But given how bad share alike is
for OpenStreetMap I don't think we should give up for pushing for a more open license. Here's why I think share-alike hurts OpenStreetMap and
how this keeps OpenStreetMap from having the full impact it could have:

Hi Alex,

I disagree with you. Personnaly I contribute to OSM because of the share alike licence.
To take you example about Google using OSM data that will increase the community I`m not convinced at all.
I think that people would not realize that OSM is behind that and they will only join Google Community to contribute to Google Map data. Without a share alike licence these data will certainly remain in Google DB and not be contributed to OSM one because I wonder what would be the interest of Google to share the data with its competitor whereas it doesn`t do that today. So at the end Google would benefit of OSM data but OSM will not benefit from this usage in my opinion.
OSM continue to grow so I don`t see any reason to fallback in a painfull licence change process that will mostly benefit to "consumers" and not to the project itself.
This is an endless philosophical debat like the GPL vs BSD in software and I don`t think there is a best solution for everyone.

My 2 cents
Julien