[OSM-talk] OpenStreetMap Isn't All That Open, Let's Change That and Drop Share-Alike

Paweł Paprota ppawel at fastmail.fm
Thu Mar 13 16:50:14 UTC 2014

Read this and substitute OSM for Wikipedia:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/01/13/google_stabs_wikipedia_in_the_front/

<quote>
The moral is: if you're a contributor to an "open" web resource, then
beware: the hippy ethos simply marks you out as a mug. Unless you
protect and license your work, you *will* be exploited by a powerful
corporation. Because as the Scorpion said to the
Frog[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scorpion_and_the_Frog], "It's in
my nature - it's what I do"*.
</quote>