[OSM-talk] OpenStreetMap Isn't All That Open, Let's Change That and Drop Share-Alike

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Thu Mar 13 18:53:16 UTC 2014

Besides predicting that exactly that would happen with Wikipedia once
google started providing WP based excerpts, I don't think that it is
really an argument pro/con any specific licence*.

WP historically was the sole consumer and distributor of WP data of
note, in the case of OSM that has been different at least for a large
part of its history. So in the end it is really just normality arriving
for WP (if you don't want that to happen then you probably shouldn't be
an open data project).

Simon

* at least here google is now providing regular, well visible links to
wikipedia, in contrast to what they originally did (tiny light grey
"invisible" text). IMHO still not CC by-SA compatible, but that is for
WP to decide.