[OSM-talk] OpenStreetMap Isn't All That Open, Let's Change That and Drop Share-Alike

Christian Quest cquest at openstreetmap.fr
Thu Mar 13 19:06:39 UTC 2014

I've posted a comment on Alex post, but I need to clarify a few things.

The part were I also think ODbL may be a problem is regarding collaborating
with government agencies where share-alike is required.

It is a pitty that these agencies cannot join OSM because of ODbL, not
because they just want to use OSM data in a non open way but because their
less restrictive licence is incompatible with ODbL.

This is the point where something may be changed but I don't know how it
could be done.

Except that special case, ODbL allows a lot of things, and its share-alike
requirement looks to me not as "less" open but as "always" open... which in
fact is more open on the long term.

--
Christian Quest - OpenStreetMap France
Conférence "State Of The Map" France du 4 au 6 avril à