[OSM-talk] Maximum recommended length of ways tagged with layer

Fernando Trebien fernando.trebien at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 16:38:05 UTC 2014

I think stereotyping by nationality is quite un-OSM too. (I'm Brazilian, btw.)

I think validators have a significant role in the current problem: we
need a warning about missing bridges/tunnels when two ways overlap,
regardless of the value in the "layer" tag of either way. This will
discourage the use of layer=-1 on rivers to avoid validation warnings,
and will also reveal when this was done and encourage people to
effectively map bridges and tunnels.

I now agree that the "layer" tag should be used as locally as
possible, so I think Richard had good intentions when proposing this.
At the same time, I think you, Frederik, has a good point that
arriving at a threshold for that number is quite hard. What exactly do
we want to avoid? Really, really long ways with a layer tag. So why
not set this threshold higher? Say 10 km?