[OSM-talk] Maximum recommended length of ways tagged with layer

moltonel 3x Combo moltonel at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 18:12:10 UTC 2014

On 15/03/2014, Fernando Trebien <fernando.trebien at gmail.com> wrote:
> I now agree that the "layer" tag should be used as locally as
> possible, so I think Richard had good intentions when proposing this.
> At the same time, I think you, Frederik, has a good point that
> arriving at a threshold for that number is quite hard. What exactly do
> we want to avoid? Really, really long ways with a layer tag. So why
> not set this threshold higher? Say 10 km?

Validator rules are a good thing, but I think that "length of a way
that has layer=*" to detect misuse of the layer tag is beside the
point. Whatever threshold you use, there'll false-positives and
false-negatives. How about something along the lines of "negative
layer but no tunnel tag (or positive/bridge) and no/too many crossing
ways" ?