[OSM-talk] [OHM] Should we map former endonyms?

Brad Neuhauser brad.neuhauser at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 21:15:45 UTC 2014

You can enter whatever language codes you want in the Multilingual Map
Test, so for Finnish just enter "fi" in the text box.  (ex:
http://mlm.jochentopf.com/?zoom=7&lat=52.57802&lon=19.11621&layers=B0T&lang=fi
)

To the original question, there is the old_name tag, which is documented on
the name page (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:name) and has almost
90000 uses (https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/old_name#overview). In
addition, the name page mentions the option of old_name:<lang>=* which
might best fit what you're looking for.  (there are even some uses of
old_name:fi=* already: https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/old_name%3Afi)

Cheers, Brad