[OSM-talk] [OHM] Should we map former endonyms?

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk
Thu Mar 20 17:43:58 UTC 2014

I think the problem is that we sometimes need to reflect more than just the
single official name - at the moment we include multilingual names, which
is great, and it's a bit of a backwards step to lose that ability for the
past. Imagine if you're looking at an English or German map of Russia - all
the names rendered with nice Latin-script equivalents - and you say "okay,
show me a 1970s map", only for everything to become Cyrillic instead. :-)

It becomes more complicated if you have cases where the name changes in
some languages and not others, or countries with multiple official
languages where it changes in both.

For example, we'd want to be able to record that in English the city of
Tsaritsyn became Stalingrad on a certain date, and then later became
Volgograd, just as we record that in Russian it went from Царицын to
Сталинград to Волгоград.

However, as you can see at the moment, the "other names" are simple strings
with no dates or modifiers, so we can't convey this information. (Switching
the interface to a different language will display the alternative names in
those languages)

https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q914

Susanna: I'm not aware of what the plans are for this, but I'm reasonably
sure we can't do it right now. However, I'm not completely up to speed on
how dates/modifiers etc work, so someone on wikidata-l can no doubt correct
me :-)

Andrew.

--
- Andrew Gray