[OSM-talk] [Talk-us] State ref tags on ways

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Wed Mar 26 14:22:07 UTC 2014

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 11:15 PM, Toby Murray <toby.murray at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is what the current shield rendering code uses. The only reason the
> ref tag on ways includes the state abbreviation is that a way may be a
> member of multiple networks.

Can we make this the default mapnik style-sheet and bury the idiotic "tag
the route's ref on the member ways" method already?  We've only been seeing
the need to do this for half the project's existence now, and it's the only
instance that I can think of where one entity's characteristics are
plastered onto a totally different entity.  That's not intuitive, and as we
can see, it just creates too many problems in a country where you
potentially have ~3067 distinct highway networks, and makes mapping things
like the EU's "E" roads less obvious.