[OSM-talk] Looking for names in South Asian languages

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Wed Mar 26 23:08:35 UTC 2014

I'm currently working on South Asia font support for openstreetmap-carto,
the default style on openstreetmap.org

I'm trying to find names on rendered features in a few scripts

- Sinhala (si)
- Gujarati (gu)
- Gurmukhi (Script for Punjabi, pa)
- Kannada (kn)
- Oriya (or)

My initial research indicates that languages using these scripts are in
common use in some regions, so I would expect some name tags to be in
those languages, both on POIs and on place nodes where that is the local
language. Unfortunately, I've not had success finding them.

Aside from helping directly, one way to help with multi-lingual support
is to make sure that you're tagging name=* in the signed or local
language and if the feature has names in other languages, to tag them
with name:xx=*, where xx is the language code. In the multi-lingual case
it is helpful if you tag the name in the signed or local language twice,
once as name=* and once as name:xx=*.

I'm tracking South Asia font support at
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/414, although
I'll copy relevant comments from the mailing lists or email to the Github
Issue.