[OSM-talk] Foursquare and OSM Note Instructions

Jason Ward jasonjward5 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 02:50:17 UTC 2014

Hi Team,

I've been doing some SuperUser edits in 4sq recently and poked my head into
the OSM page they hold on their site (https://foursquare.com/about/osm) and
its slightly at odds with the messaging I have been using when resolving
notes I have deemed as irrelevant to use and I thought I'd clarify with
this group to see whether I need to:

a) Adjust my messaging when resolving notes [1]; OR
b) Don't resolve notes that indicate something should be added or is an
ommission; OR
c) Ask 4sq to amend their copy to better reflect OSM Note usage.

So.  The OSM Wiki [2] for notes indicates in its first para that notes are
for "errors" and I have taken that quite literally when assessing notes and
in resolving something that is "missing" from OSM I have indicated that
notes are for "errors".  My behaviour may be having a negative effect on
these note authors coming from 4sq so I'm keen to ensure I don't
unecessarily turn people away from OSM if I shouldn't be.

Any thoughts here?  Is the first para in the OSM Wiki at odds with the Dos
and Don't section on the same page?  One suggests errors and the other
suggest errors and missing information.

[1]: I usually resolve Notes with Business Details suggesting that they are
for Errors rather than Ommissions.
[2]: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Notes

Cheers,

Jason