[OSM-talk] Foursquare and OSM Note Instructions

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Fri Mar 28 11:06:14 UTC 2014

Well, it's not errors only, but notes of course.
My argument goes into: it might be useful to add a note *about* an
error, too.
It's best to fix errors immediately, of course; but it's better to
document them for later to fix than to do nothing and forget about it.

Therefore notes are like an issue tracker, containing tasks to be done
(like resurvey at arrival of new imagery), bugs to fix (like "shop has
been closed; intersection is a roundabout now,...) and enhancements
(here the business X is missing).
Anything fits into notes as it would fit into an issue tracker; but like
in an issue tracker it's best t solve issues directly, which might even
make opening the issue in the tracker (opening the note in osm) obsolete
at all.

The Foursquare (and similar) case for trivial notes like "business
missing" "here is address X" is like a typo in a UI translation file of
a software: it is more easy to fix it than to file an issue - at least,
when you have an account already and know how to use the tools.

Our own todo list is perfect to add to the notes - but it requires to
write notes in a way that others can understand, because it's a PUBLIC
issue tracker. The same way I can add my personal tasks in a software
project to the global issue tracker I can do it with notes, too - it
must be clear what is to be done, and it should not be more work with an
issue tracker than it would be without.

regards
Peter