[OSM-talk] Global Admin Boundary Extracts

James Conkling james.lane.conkling at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 16:08:50 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I've been trying to find the best way to extract global admin boundaries
for admin_level 2 - 4 (or more, depending on size).  Up until now, XAPI has
been my go-to, but that seems to tap out at anything more than 10 or 20
degrees square.

[moreover, and this might be due to a mistake on my part, not XAPI's, after
extracting and using osm2pgsql, the planet_osm_polygon table is often
incomplete, though planet_osm_line is complete.  Every time I experiment w/
semi-large (country-size) XAPI extracts, the results are slightly different]

Anyone have any pointers on how to get global extracts (extracts of large
areas, even if the resulting file is not itself large)?  Thanks for the
pointers.