[OSM-talk] Global Admin Boundary Extracts

Christian Quest cquest at openstreetmap.fr
Mon Mar 31 17:19:02 UTC 2014

Are you looking for all admin boundaries level 2-4 worldwide or just
country by country ?

FYI, if you take only France, admin_level 4 represents more than 4MB of
compressed data.

What do you want to get at the end exactly ?
OSM raw data to work on or geometries in a PostGIS database ?

You may try overpass-API, but due to the size of the result, it may just
giveup too.

> Hi all,
>
> I've been trying to find the best way to extract global admin boundaries
> for admin_level 2 - 4 (or more, depending on size).  Up until now, XAPI has
> been my go-to, but that seems to tap out at anything more than 10 or 20
> degrees square.
>
> [moreover, and this might be due to a mistake on my part, not XAPI's,
> after extracting and using osm2pgsql, the planet_osm_polygon table is often
> incomplete, though planet_osm_line is complete.  Every time I experiment w/
> semi-large (country-size) XAPI extracts, the results are slightly different]
>
> Anyone have any pointers on how to get global extracts (extracts of large
> areas, even if the resulting file is not itself large)?  Thanks for the
> pointers.

Christian Quest - OpenStreetMap France
Conférence "State Of The Map" France du 4 au 6 avril à
Paris<http://openstreetmap.fr/sotmfr>