[OSM-talk] Community Guidelines needs your review

Michael Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Sat May 3 17:11:01 UTC 2014

Hi all,

We've been running under the written-for-data ODbL license for well over
a year now thanks to the good folks at Open Knowledge Foundation and
their Open Data Commons project.

The ODbL is written for data in general and still needs some
interpretation when applied specifically to our geospatial data project.
So, 5 years ago, we set up a project called Community Guidelines to
share with end users of OpenStreetMap data how we as a contributing
community understand things, what our intentions are and what we are
happy/not happy with.

It is very important that you personally can participate if you want to.

There is more detail in this earlier legal-talk mail
https://www.mail-archive.com/talk@openstreetmap.org/msg49397.html, but
the main points are:

1) The front page is at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Community_Guidelines

2) The process for developing a Community Guideline from a set of ideas
to a formal policy is described at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Community_Guidelines/How_We_Create_Community_Guidelines

3) If you did not know about them, we appreciate hearing any comments
that you want to make.

4) We'd like to formalise these guidelines, do you object?

What does Substantial mean?
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Substantial_-_Guideline

When is my project a Produced Work?
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Produced_Work_-_Guideline

Trivial Transformations
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Trivial_Transformations_-_Guideline

5) These have been accepted community practise almost since the
beginning of the project but have never been written down and we have
had questions about them. Now they have.  Does the write-up seem
reasonable to you?

Regional Cuts
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Regional_Cuts_-_Guideline

Horizontal layers
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Horizontal_Layers_-_Guideline

General comments welcome on this list. Detailed comments to legal-talk, on the wiki (there is a Discussion section below each guideline) or to legal at osmfoundation.org.

Mike

Michael Collinson
Chair, OpenStreetMap Foundation License Working Group