[OSM-talk] This has to stop: User Diaries Spam

Andreas Goss andig88 at t-online.de
Tue May 13 21:31:11 UTC 2014

First of all let me say I'm a huge fan of the diaries, I think it is
great that OpenStreetMap gives every user the chance to present his own
"blog" to a larger audiance.

BUT something has to be done against the Spam on the User Diaries page.
This could be done by moderating faster, but then there is still the
problem with Twitter and other feed based systems.
Just today I got this: http://i.imgur.com/jKAxzLh.png

You know what the first thing is I would do if I wasn't really committed
to OpenStreetMap? I would UNFOLLOW that account. I actually had this set
up for Facebook, but got rid of it, because it was so annoying.

OpenStreetMap already isn't doing that much regarding social media and
Marketin/PR, so can we at least do it right with the few channels that
exist?

The best solution in my opinion -if possible- would be to limit the
access to diaries to accounts that have existed for a certain time and
have some edits (just like 1 week and 5-10 Edits) or maybe easier
require moderator approval for every account that isn't 1 week or month
old. A general approval for the diaries by moderator approval for the
first posts only might also be a solution.

I also wrote 2 diary entries about this some time ago:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/AndiG88/diary/21188
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/AndiG88/diary/21156

Andi

PS: Then there is also the issue with profile backlink spam and while
there is a page on the wiki to report it, but usually very little
happens if you do: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Spam