[OSM-talk] undiscussed (?) mechanical edit on diet:vegan and diet:vegetarian

Michael Reichert nakaner at gmx.net
Tue May 20 10:42:20 UTC 2014

Hi,

Am 20.05.2014 12:26, schrieb SomeoneElse:
> Michael Reichert wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have discovered a mechanical edit of 100 restaurants worldwide by user
>> BuganiniQ.
>>
>> https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/22303143
>> comment=update diet:vegen/diet:vegetarian: set to only according to
>> cuisine; remove redundant tags
>> created_by=osmapi/0.2.24
>>
>> Has this edit been discussed before? (Maybe I have missed the
>> discussion) I have not found anything browsing through the archives of
>> talk and imports mailing list back to March 2014. There are also no
>> results when I look for user BuganiniQ in OSM forum.
>>
> I've not seen any discussion anywhere of this one.

I always ask or look properly before I report someone to DWG.

> In practice, there are _lots_ of these sorts of well-meaning "tidying
> up" edits; relatively few of which are ever discussed. Most are entirely
> sensible (for example, see
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/24991952/history , which is in the most
> recent such changeset that crosses where I live).
>
> Should all such changesets be cleared as "mechanical edits" first? The
> current guidelines suggest yes, but in practice this isn't done in
> changesets that are "obviously correct" such as the maxspeed one above.
> The tricky bit is to tell where the person doing the edit doesn't
> understand the nuances present in the keys and values concerned (as I'm
> sure that I don't with vegan etc.).

No, not every mechanical edit. There is no sharp border. The example you
gave correct errors. Such edits should not have to be discussed. But the
changeset I gave changed tagging and IMHO did not fix errors (see the
linked wiki page).

OT: If you want, you can report this (max_speed -> maxspeed) to user
Oli-Wan the maintainer of the bot Wall·E [2]. This bot operates at the
moment only in Germany and Austria but can be extended to other
countries if the local community wants it.

Best regards

Michael

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Oli-Wan
[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Oli-Wan/Wall-E

--
Per E-Mail kommuniziere ich bevorzugt GPG-verschlüsselt.