[OSM-talk] OSM France "BANO" project... openaddresses in France

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Sat May 24 10:58:40 UTC 2014

Hi Christian,
The BANO data is licensed under ODbl, but the database does not conform
to the Contributor terms, right?

That's why importing or adding it to OSM is not possible IMHO.

Adding it to (the osm installation of) nominatim on the other hand is a
bad idea, I think:
IMHO nominatim.openstreetmap.or should rely on OSM as a data source as
pure as possible. Adding different data sets might be useful to add
information not possible or out of scope of the osm database (like
importance factors using the wikipedia links), but BANO is a different
thing.

If the BANO addresses are free and open enough for OSM, we should
encourage to work on bringing them to the OSM database itself (provided,
they are GOOD enough as well). How should anybody in France get
motivation to collect more addresses for the osm database itself, if
anything is available in BANO already?

Nominatim as well as the maps presented by the project on osm.org IMHO
should show the strengths of OSM, and not lie about it by presenting
stuff that's not part of OSM (like addresses from different databases).

regards
Peter

P.S: Of course this is not meant to deal with the software as such, but
for the installations/instances "officially" part of OSM. Feel free to
set up an BANO nominatim server to show the strength of BANO instead.