[OSM-talk] Landuse vs Vegetation vs Landcover proposed cleanup at wiki

Richard Z. ricoz.osm at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 11:53:11 UTC 2014

On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 11:04:28AM +0400, Никита wrote:
> We have highly inconsistent content at wiki (feature pages
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:Features>). Inconsistency is
> not limited to landuse=wood/natural=forest. Another example is
> landuse=meadow (Landuse <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Landuse>,
> Vegetation <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Vegetation>, Landcover
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Landcover>).
>
> We should think about how to organize content without collisions or at very
> least place all problematic categories under same Feature
> (semi-temporary, until we have better idea).

definitely a good idea.

However - *do not overhasten this*

The last thing we can need is another halfbaken temporary compromise.

> Personally I suggest to use name "environment" - yes, it broader than
> anything (Landuse <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Landuse>, Vegetation
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Vegetation>, Landcover
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Landcover>).
>
> It is also not limited to "Natural environment
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_environment>" (then we cannot use
> Landuse/amenity)
>
> It is not limited to "Physical environment
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecology#Physical_environments>" (we have
> semi/virual features like landuse/amenity because

The problem is not only that forest can be mapped as either landuse,landcover
or natural.
We must also go away from the - "there is either rock, vegetation or residential
area" model.

Furthermore our vegetation model - "there be either forest or gras" is woefully
inadequate.
We need vegetation layers (ground, shrub level, under canopy, canopy, emergents).
We need lots of fine tuning in geology as well.

Instead we need the possibility to say
* 70% landcover is sand (+ material where known)
* 10% larger rocks (+ main rock type)
- spatial extension of those areas may not be identical
* ground level vegetation is gras, covering XX% area
* shrub level is Ocotillo, with 100 plants per 100 sqm
- again spatial extension of those areas may not be identical

Combine that with residential and other areas..

Richard