[OSM-talk] How best to create a "single point of interest" online map with OSM data?

Marc Gemis marc.gemis at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 08:46:19 UTC 2014

It depends on what is slowing down: retrieving the data via OverPass,
parsing that file, drawing the individual pins ?

- retrieving the data can be avoided by caching in a GeoJSON file. I don't
expect that clustering will help if this is the bottleneck
- the two other parts depend on your machine, browser and JavaScript
interpreter, although clustering helps improving the drawing, as one has to
display less pins.

Limiting the data to a certain viewport only helps when you start looking
for POIs when you are zoomed in enough. If you don't do that, you'll see
30.000 markers when the whole world is viewed.