[OSM-talk] Detrimental validation software

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Mon Oct 13 11:33:22 UTC 2014

On 2014-10-13 12:48, Dave F. wrote:

>  Once again I've had user Richrico use this website:
> http://osmlab.github.io/to-fix/?error=unconnected_major5 [1] to
> inaccurately amend data in OSM.
>
>  http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/65398595#map=19/51.32464/-2.22817
> [2]
>
> Way: 65398595 This way is _not_ joined.

Well, it is. Only not as a road accessible to cars. If I saw that with
local knowledge, I'd put a piece of footway inbetween. That's also good
for navigation purposes.

> For clarification: http://goo.gl/maps/FHp4z [3]
>
> I've tried to contact him previously, but he failed to respond. I've
> just sent him a second message.
>
> This, & other similar types of software is being misused to insert
> errors into the OSM database.
>  Without local knowledge there is no way users can be sure of the
> accuracy of there edits. They should stick to what they know. I
> believe this type of validation software should be discouraged, if not
> banned completely.

True, these kinds of validation services should be used with due care.
And seeing that there is google streetview and a not so bad aerial view,
this is a bad fix.

> I'm getting bored of my OSM time being taken up chasing after users
> who are semi-deliberately adding errors.

There are good fixes from these kinds of services. There are very
obvious mistakes that prevent navigation services to be used properly.
Maybe the fix of roads <5m apart should be removed if it generates too
many errors.

Regards,
Maarten