[OSM-talk] Detrimental validation software

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Tue Oct 14 15:20:46 UTC 2014

On 13/10/2014 14:35, Simon Poole wrote:
> Hi Serge
>
> I believe Alex Barth has identified himself as responsible for MapBox's
> "data team" and I would suggest to Dave discussing with Alex if there
> are issues.
>
> The mapper in question has identified himself as a MapBox employee, the
> correct and good thing to do, it probably simply needs a further pointer
> to MapBox itself. We can't assume that everybody knows the background etc.
>
> Simon

I was unaware RichRico was an MapBox employee. That makes me even more
surprised the data was being edited: You'd have thought the developers
of the software would be aware of it's limitations.

The reason I wrote to RichRico is because the software, in itself, isn't
destructive. It's the misuse by end users that's causing vandalism. If
it can be proved that vandalism is systematic (and I think it can), then
the use of this software should be discouraged.

Cheers
Dave F.

---