[OSM-talk] Detrimental validation software

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Tue Oct 14 15:56:44 UTC 2014

On 13/10/2014 17:18, Aaron Lidman wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> Richrico should have responded. The Mapbox data team has a policy to
> respond to all questions from the community. I'm sorry he didn't, he
> has now, and we've reminded all members of our data team of this
> policy. This should no longer be an issue in the future and all of our
> data team policies are completely transparent and can be found on the
> wiki: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mapbox#Data_Team_Guidelines
>
> The software is not "being misused to insert errors into the OSM
> database", it was a mistake.

For whatever reason, mistake or intentional, the software was still
being misused - those roads do not join & he wouldn't have made that
amendment without it.

> Looking at the imagery I can see how it might be thought they connect,
> especially when none of us are using google maps for verification, right?

Wrong. I was using Streetview to confirm to the forum what I already
knew - that the roads don't join. I don't need Google as I went there &
did a proper visual survey, whereas your employee just "thought" they
"might" join. This armchair guesswork is bad for the OSM database: If
you're unsure if an edit will improve the quality of the map - please
don't make it.

I use the validation software you mention, but only to correct data that
I have first hand knowledge of & never to amend something in another
time zone where I've never been. Even when I do use them, I stop to
think whether it is an accurate error report & not blindly fix it
assuming it must be true.

---